Thursday, November 19, 2009

Designing on a budget

As a college student, I think one part of being a student is being broke--or close to it. This is, however, a good thing at times and a bad thing at other times. When I finally transfered to the University, I was confronted with the dilemma of living with a roommate and having half the living space. I knew I would need a desk, a bed, closet space and just room to move around. The entire room was around 14.5' x 11', my roommate had already moved in and took most of the space with his desk and bed. Long story shot, I got the shaft.

So to recap, we both had full-size bed (approx 6' x 4.5' times 2) and one desk. Thats already 54 sq ft. taken of 159.5 sq ft. that leaves 105.5 sq ft. for two desks and room to navigate around. In a moment of clarity, I began drawing plans up for a full-size loft. Generally, lofts made by major manufactures run upwards of $400.00USD to $500.00USD, without the ability to personalize it. All in all when the project was completed it cost me around $150.00 to $200.00USD. Not to mention that the loft was build by me, for me, but I was able to add things to accommodate my situation.

I should have an instructable up with in the week, but the process is rather simple and straight forward. This was a fun project and learning experience. Not to mention that I am benefiting from building for my own needs, I used most of the scraps for miscellaneous parts, like the ladder. I'll update this when the instructable is up. For now enjoy a few photos, and if you want, try it out for yourself by heading to instructables to get an idea of how to start designing basic furniture on the cheap!


No comments:

Post a Comment